Friday, January 4, 2008

Nightmare

You'll know when it's time to stop flying with your children but without your husband when

  1. as soon as you the fasten seatbelt light goes off, you find yourself in the 18”x18” airplane bathroom with one child covered neck to heel in diarrhea and the other hanging on your leg, begging to use the toilet (for #2), threatening not to hold it while you are frantically wiping the other child down and wondering what to do with the poopy clothes and how to dress your now naked child. Someone is knocking on the bathroom door.
  2. after spending too long in the bathroom, you’re welcomed back to your seats by the distinct odor of air sanitizer. Thanks.
  3. one child spills her drink on the seat and screams at irregular intervals.
  4. the other child talks too loudly and demands things in a rude way for everyone to hear.
  5. the person sitting behind you has to retrieve and return fallen toys more than a dozen times.
  6. you spend the last half hour of the plane ride watching your inconsolable 18-month-old writhe on the floor of the plane, screaming on the top of her lungs. She won’t let you hold her.
  7. you feel like crying almost the entire flight.
  8. more people than the number of this list approach you after the flight to console, sympathize and advise.

Yeah. I think I’m done flying with the kids and without Luke. Nightmare.

16 comments:

laura said...

i'm sorry, emily.

Tam said...

I'm sorry too. I imagined every moment you described and had sincere empathy for you.

Mindy said...

Emily I am so sorry! I need to commend you for your bravery thus far. It's very impressive that you have flown without Luke as much as you have. I think next time you all have to go somewhere you should make Luke fly by himself with the kids. Just so he can get a feel for what you've had to endure.

Julie said...

AHH! Emily - I'm practically in tears reading this. I thought I had bad experiences flying with kids but this definitely tops everything!

Anna said...

Oh Emily. I am so sorry! You are a trooper though!

ty and megs said...

yuck! i'm so sorry! but thanks for sharing you story. i'm flying home with mckinlay by myself on sunday and at least i know my experience can't be as bad as yours. :)

BallerinaBiker said...

How terrible! I'm so sorry! I've only flown once with a child by myself and it was miserable. I can't imagine having 2 all alone. And, to top it off, both are at difficult ages to be flying without help. I sincerely sympathize with you. I wanted to cry for you too!

Jenn Knight said...

Should I laugh or cry? That's really just terrible and gross. Did the bathroom have a changing table? Did the stewardess come up and say, "What can I do to help you?" and you felt like punching her? :) I flew alone with the two kiddies over the summer, and I was at my wit's end for the whole flight. One kid chanting, "We're going down! We're going down!" while refusing to get out of my lap. The other child crying b/c he's hungry and can't eat while child 1 is on my lap crying and clinging to me. AGH!! I will PAY a lot of money to whoever opens a child-friendly airline.

Melissa said...

Oh my--that is unbelievable!! What's up with the diarrhea being all over Spender? That definitely sounds like a nightmare! I am so so sorry!

Michael Smith said...

My heart goes out to you. I am so sorry. I've been there and I am going back next month--hopefully without the diarrhea. It makes it so horrible that there are hundreds of people scrutinizing your parenting abilities! I hate flying with children.
I'm with Jenn. I'll pay top dollar for a family friendly airline. Better yet, let's all fly private!

Michael Smith said...

so as you might guess, that comment wasn't from michael, it was from jen. I guess I'm signed in as Michael.

We miss you guys!

Marilyn said...

I'm a late commenter - but I just have to add my sorry too! Ugggg! So glad it's over. And I talked to you that next morning and you didn't tell me. You must have felt like - well I can't think of anything exhausted enough. Hope everyone is feeling better now - especially you. You deserve a massage/pedicure/manicure - or just a day at the spa!

john and nikki said...

sorry Emily, sounds horrible! you're a trooper!

carie said...

I know how you feel. I have been in the same situation!

Driving for 16 hours with the screaming, diarreah, and dropping of the toys is just as fun. We got to experience that a couple of weeks ago.

Sean and Laura said...

Oh my gosh. There is nothing to say but I am so sorry. You are a strong woman to survive.

Cassi said...

I am so sorry. I would have been crying myself for sure....