Monday, May 12, 2008

Olá Portugal - Lisbon, part 1

We've been back for few weeks, but here is a recap of Portugal Revisited. That is, I was revisiting and poor Luke had to listen to non-stop mission stories. I'm serious. I think Luke knows as much about my missionary experience as I do. He was very patient, and if he got tired of my ramble, I never suspected.
Pedestrian-only street in the Baixa.

This is where we stayed, Pensao Geres. It was very typically Portuguese. The smell, the bed, the religious art, the low pressure shower, 100% tile bathroom. It wasn't super comfortable, but it was a great location and it was super fun to feel like I was really in Lisbon again.

Luke and I are in front of Marques de Pombal which was part of my second area. My companion and I used to run around this park. It was so fun to be back in my old areas. Definitely my favorite part of the trip.



The church I went to in my second area. Luke was kind enough to tramp all over Lisbon in search of the church. I forgot to bring the address and couldn't remember how to get there. The mission president used to live above the church, but they've made that floor part of the church now. Strange.


In Belem with Cristo Rei in the background.

Belem monument memorializing Portuguese great discoveries. Go medieval Portugal.


On top of Belem tower.



Metro!



Lisbon is pretty in a sort of shabby way. I think the way they build their buildings makes them fall apart really fast or something.


In Alfama. It's a really old, quaint neighborhood right in the city. There are no cars and no city noises. Narrow streets, plenty of old ladies looking out the window or hanging laundry and plenty of old men standing in groups talking about soccer. The smell of soup and freshly mopped marble entry ways. Portugal at its truest.

I thought the olive grove at Jeronimos was breathtaking. I wish I were a photographer.

On the walls of Jeronimos, a big old castle in Lisbon. The sister missionaries took this pic. P-day.


10 comments:

carie said...

wow!!
These picture are totally cool. I would love to go to Portugal one day.

todd & nicole said...

It looked like you had so much fun. Who could forget the smell of Portugal. I can hardly wait to take Todd back.

BallerinaBiker said...

Fun! Is Romania next on the agenda?!

Anna said...

Looks like you guys had a great time!!!!

Jason & Claire said...

Wow! What a great place for you to go back to with your husband. I'm glad you got to share all of your memories iwht him. I'm sure he loved it!

I also love the bright turquoise underwear hanging out to dry in the picture. That's HOT!

Connie said...

Wow- that is so awesome that you got to go back with your husband. I don't know if I'll ever make it back to Russia again, let alone any time soon! Good for you! It looks beautiful there.

Jenn Knight said...

A. love your haircut. really cute
B. just went to the zoo with your sis today. i seriously just love her. she's so much fun.
C. I wish I could have heard your mission stories. I can't think of an Emily story that I haven't liked.
D. I laughed about wandering around trying to find the church b/c that's totally something that I would do (in fact, I did it when my parents came to my mission).

The Yosts said...

Looks like an amazing trip.

john and nikki said...

glad you were able to make it back and take in the sights again. i am hoping to take John back to guatamala sometime soon.

Marilyn said...

Great to see these pics of your trip and appreciated that you described the smells etc. as well. That's what I find so hard when showing photos of places i've been. It's just not the whole "picture"! So glad you could go back to your mission field and share it w/Luke!