Someone asked me if we ate the fish we caught. Well, we meant to. We don't know anything about fishing, so we ended up bringing home two live fish, swimming around in our cooler. I finally talked Luke into bashing their heads against some rocks outside because I could tell they weren't feeling very well (and because they kept trying to jump out, which scared me). We aren't in the habit of killing anything other than insects, but we did kill the fish, finally. I then put the fish in a bag of frozen hash browns because I never have ice in the house. After a couple of hours, the idea of the fish started to gross me out. A day passed and another. I threw the fish away. Spencer kept asking when we were going to eat the fish. The answer was always "dinner." He soon forgot about it. A few days ago I heard Spencer tell his friend about catching the fish, "We made it dead, so we could eat it. We're having it for dinner... I think."
Luke felt bad about wasting the fish's life, but I think no fish has given so much joy to anyone. A life well lived and well sacrificed.
8 comments:
This is funny. You are funny. I have forever given up my joys of fishing when I married Ricky. He hates killing the fish.
haha! How funny! Quite frankly, I don't know if I could cook up a whole fish. Madam Nottin did it so well and her fish was the best fish I've ever eaten in my entire life, but I just don't think I'm cut out for it!!
The idea of a fish in my freezer is a little gross for me too.
Oh my goodness!! I always know I will laugh when I come to your blog. :)
You kill worms Luke won't kill and Luke kills fish you won't kill. You are a good combo. And Spencer's comment... Oh, I'm just laughing so hard.
And I wouldn't have cooked the fish either. I don't think I could make it through the de-scaling process, etc... I'll stick to my pre-packaged, pre-skinned, de-boned Costco fish filets thank you very much. :)
This is from Anna. I love Spencer's comment...I think. I'm glad you posted the Portugal pictures.
I don't know anything about cooking fish but I think you would have had to cut it's insides out and that would definitely not be fun. I love how quickly kids forget things. It makes life so much easier.
Yes, I put the book on hold now. I guess Gaskill has written others too. Probably have to read those too!
great story!
Post a Comment