Saturday, May 3, 2008

Gone Fishing

I'm not sure what got into Luke. A week or so ago, he started talking about taking Spencer fishing. The reason this is such a surprise to me is that Luke doesn't like to fish or destroy life of any kind. But today the fishing dream was realized. Spencer caught the first fish with his $10 Superman pole. It sounds silly, but it was an unforgettable moment. We all helped reel in the 8 inch whopper. Luke and I were completely surprised, not expecting to catch anything. Spencer was thrilled. Camille wanted to be held the whole time and kept saying, "I want to go home, mommy. I want to go home." My important role was baiting the lines, since I was the only one who would touch a live worm. From this experience, I've concluded that worms can feel. They squirm when being cut in half and they squirm when being stuck on a hook. We all have Luke to thank for our super fun new family hobby. Next time we'll try to catch fish big enough to legally take home.



Camille liked banging her Dora pole against the rocks. She quickly lost interest in her pole and fishing.


These are the fish we brought home. Anyone know what kind they are?? I've successfully identified the top fish as a bluegill, but I don't know about the other.

11 comments:

laura said...

Wow! Good job, Spencer!

todd & nicole said...

That is so great, although I think I would leave the worms to Todd. Looks like you had a great time.

Steve Leininger said...

If Spencer were any happier he would explode!

Anna said...

Yay! You are a better person than I am for baiting the hook.

A & D Weston said...

Yes, the top fish is definitely a Bluegill, the bottom fish is a bass, hard to tell what variety when it has just barely hatched out of its egg-probably a smallmouth.

john and nikki said...

i don't know what it is with guys and fishing, but john would LOVE to take our girls fishing. And he doesn't fish either!

Mindy said...

Looks like a lot of fun! I've been telling Brian we should take our kids fishing. Maybe this post will help me with my argument. I am very impressed that you were willing and able to handle the worms while pregnant.

BallerinaBiker said...

Wow! I'm impressed! How fun too! Fishing is so much fun, but definitely a guy thing! Ben and his bros and dad go every year on a fishing trip. Now that our boys are getting bigger, I hope he takes them with him too! K

BallerinaBiker said...

Oh, just found out! Amanda is expecting! And, the dr thinks she might have twins!! Isn't that great news?!

Marilyn said...

What a great moment! It shows in their faces too! Funny how you are the only one who will touch live worms! What a woman!

Jenn Knight said...

Shut up! Spencer caught a fish??? Way to go, man! Pass along my congrats. Did you cook the fish?

Love Camille and her Dora pole. :) Cute.

I thought it was funny that you were the only one who could do the worms. This is precisely why I grew up in front of a lake and have NEVER once been fishing. I can't stand the thought of putting the little worm on the hook.