Monday, March 3, 2008

Why???

My fellow mothers of three-year-olds will predict that Spencer's favorite word is "why." He doesn't even use it properly all the time, but it sure sucks me into conversing with him. Yesterday he was chowing down a huge ham steak when he started asking where ham came from. He asked why enough that I finally told him it's pig bum.... That shut him up for a few seconds until as an afterthought he said, "Mmmm, I love pig bum." The questions then continued until I told him it was a muscle he was eating, that pigs have big bum muscles and we call it ham. Predictably he asked "why" do pigs have big bum muscles. I'd reached the end. I had no creative answers, but he did. "Maybe it's so they can poop REALLY good."

12 comments:

Nollie said...

Emily,

Reading this makes me miss you even more. And congrats on the weight loss, even though I agree with Jenn that you were already skinny. I think the worst thing to happen to me is getting a scale. I liked it better when we didn't have one and I just weighed myself every few weeks at Shad. Now I can know instantly when those brownies have caught up with me instead of having a few weeks to temper the blow.

Anna said...

Haha! With they way they eat, I sure hope they can poop really good. Spencer is a pretty smart little guy.

Autumn said...

Once, I told Drew that he wasn't allowed to say the word "why" because it was a naughty word. Then he said "Why?" and proceeded to list all the naughty words he knows. There is just no escape from "why?" but it sounds like you gave it your best shot.

laura said...

what a smart little cutie!

BallerinaBiker said...

I love it! Instead of "why?" lately, it's "what does hamburger come from, what does an egg come from, what does lettuce come from, etc. etc. etc." I almost go blue in the face explaining over and over and over again what food product comes from what!

Tam said...

We're in the "where does such and such come from" and "who makes this" stage right now, but we get a lot of whys too. It really is exhausting isn’t it?

carie said...

I have had conversations with Isobel starting out with where Daddy is going and ending with the Big Bang Theory. It can get pretty crazy. Although, now she will accept the greatest answer of all, "I don't know."

Laura said...

Nice, I will have to remember that one!

Marilyn said...

Hi Emily! I'm finally reading the blogs. Who knows when/if i ever write one again. But so glad you do so I can hear some of the amazing cute things that Spencer and Camille do/say! Give them many xoxoxos from me.

Julie said...

Too funny! Spencer cracks me up.

Phillips Flips said...

If only our brains were as active as our childrens...But then again at the end of the day ours tend to resemble scrambled eggs from all that child psychology. It was fun to read your blog!

Cassi said...

This is one of the all time best stories I've heard. Love it!