I haven't blogged in a long time, but I just read all of yours. It was really fun. I actually have a lot to catch up on, but I'm not going to right now.
Spencer sometimes does things that I don't know how to respond to. The other day on his way out of the bathroom I gently reminded him to wash his hands and flush. He replied, "I'm only going to wash my hands because I'm so tired of doing ALL the things you ask me to do."
Possible responses:
philosophically: Who do you think should flush for you?
defensively: Well, I'm tired of doing all the things YOU ask ME to do.
threateningly: You'd better flush or I'll take away your Luke Skywalker.
manipulatively: Do you want to flush now or in five minutes?
I opened my mouth to respond but nothing came. I said nothing. I was glad he chose to wash his hands. Sometimes I get tired of telling him what to do too. I also get tired of deciding split-second how to respond to my children. They're surprising.
One more thing. We drove past some construction workers with big tractors and hard hats. Luke and I thought what they were doing looked impressive, so Luke asked Spencer if he wanted to build stuff like that when he got big. His immediate negative response surprised us. Upon further inquiry, we found it's because Spencer wants to be a Jedi "or something like that." I guess if I were deciding between manipulating a tractor and being a Jedi, I would choose as Spencer did.
8 comments:
I think I'll be a Jedi too.
You're a great mom!
I'm glad to see someone analyzes their responses to kids as much as I do. I hope you flushed the toilet.
This is great. I totally go through these different response scenarios in my head until I realize that I've missed the moment and now whatever I say will be a moot point. Sigh. I don't think I'll ever get the hang of this mommy stuff, but I DO think frequently, "What would Emily do if she were in this situation." I really do. That's not just an obligatory blog comment. :) I agree with the other girl- you're a good mom.
I love reading Spencer's precocious remarks-- what a fun boy! And, congratulations on having a girl-- I didn't even know you were pregnant with #3! Hope you're enjoying Big D....
Priceless! So glad you are capturing some of these comments and your thoughts! You have a gift! (I miss ya'll out in Texas!)
Dear Emily,
I miss your posts. How are you??
Dear Emily,
I miss your posts too. Where are you? Give us an update on your trip!
Loves,
Court
Post a Comment