Monday, November 19, 2007

The truth about scrapes and bruises

So I've decided it's not always so bad to have a hurt child. This morning Spencer scraped his leg on his way outside via the window. It was very minor, but I made just enough of it to convince Spencer he'd better lie on the couch for a while and heal. Armed with books, a blanket and his favorite toy, Stink, Spencer was made comfortable for over and hour. A very pleasant hour.

Another time in Costco, Spencer had the unlucky accident of falling out of the cart. Fortunately, he hurt his bum and not his head. Anyway, after the tears subsided, Spencer became very docile. We had a still and silent shopping trip. One of the best ever. Maybe it's time for Camille to have a little accident . . .

It also seems to help if they get a little owie right before bed. The idea of going to bed somehow becomes more appealing to the child. At least Spencer and Camille are more compliant if a little bump precedes bedtime.


Last weekend, I went to a recruiting lunch with Luke. One of the wives wasn't super excited about the idea of Texas. We talked about it a little, and I told her that Texas was like Chili's- palatable but not delicious. Because I feel strongly that Chili's is the prefect comparison for Texas (the chain even began in Texas), I feel obliged to write all the things I LOVE about Chili's, and therefore Texas. This is for Luke's benefit, since he didn't think my super clever comment very funny and threatened not to take me to recruiting events anymore.

In many ways, Chili's = Texas is a compliment to both restaurant and state. Chili's is predictable and convenient. An unpredictable and surprising restaurant can turn out disastrous. Chili’s can be bad but never be VERY bad and only as bad as it was last time. Chili’s everywhere, easy to find, and there is something for everyone. That is, whether you feel like pasta, a good ol' American burger or something Asian, like a Chinese Chicken Salad, Chili’s has it all, without being too original or too authentic. Chili’s represents ideal American suburb. It’s affordable, safe, easy to navigate and has a comforting atmosphere of sameness— palatable but not delicious. And there is nothing wrong with that. If it weren’t so desirable, there wouldn’t be so many of them.

One more thing. The other day during dinner Luke was checking his email on his blackberry. I asked Spencer if we should make a rule against looking at email during dinner. Spencer replied, "Daddy likes looking at his female. It's fun."

7 comments:

Julie said...

I love your comparison of Texas and Chili's...very clever! I feel like I understand Texas better. You are a good writer. Have fun with the fam this week!

Christy said...

Luke likes his Female huh! That is hilarious-I can't wait to tell Danny.

Cassi said...

This is soooo funny! And I must say I feel very similar about Utah. It is just so hard to leave Boston, even with the crazy streets and no parking, and rude grocery store clerks. The quirkiness adds a lot of flavor!

Jacee McGuire said...

I loved being there when this comparison was being explained person to person. I thought it was very clever and pretty humorous.

Carrie said...

I totally agree on the kids thing. Little bumps and scrapes never hurts, and it certainly can help calm them down and teach 'em a lesson. Too funny! Love the Texas/Chili's comparison.

BallerinaBiker said...

Your comparison of Texas to Chili's is funny, but I have to say, Really? You really think Texas is ordinary and predictable? It might be a little predictable but I think Texas has its own original flair. Texas is Down-home. It's filled with southern hospitality - well-mannered, god-fearing, generous and patriotic people. Get out of Dallas and go visit the quaint little towns surrounding the area like Canton or Granberry. Canton has a monthly outdoor antique marketplace with over 300 acres of shopping. It's held on the last weekend of the month - Thurs thru Sunday. Granberry is a historical town centered around the old original courthouse. It also has unique shops and restaurants. Go to East Texas and visit Jefferson and Marshall. Jefferson was the largest import/export city in the U.S. at one time. It's located right on the Mississippi River. There is so much history to be found there. Go to the Alamo/San Antonio. Even Fort Worth is unique with the Stock Yards and Western history. Every little town is a treasure. Each one has something different or unique to it. I love Texas! I think I would move there in a heartbeat if the opportunity ever presented itself to me.

Sarah Sedgwick Anderson said...

Emily, you are so in trouble for not immediately sharing your blog address...I had to get sneaky to find it! But now that I have found your blog, you know that I will always be checking it! This post is particularly enjoyable to me. I relate on oh so many levels and it reminds me that I miss you!!