Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Dread

I'm not sure that's the best title for a blog in which I'll discuss my pregnancy. However, I feel dreadful, look dreadful, and I'm full of dread at the thought of having three children, ages 4, 2, 0. I'm also dreading the rest of pregnancy, the hot summer, labor, deliver, nursing, baby-induced insomnia, and the chaos that will inevitably ensue bringing home baby #3.

The facts:
People keep assuming we didn't plan this one. We did, though we can't remember why we thought it was a good idea.
The baby is due around mid-October.
I already have the pain in my hip that I can't remember arriving until late in my 2nd trimester with Camille.
The baby likes coke. I know this because he gives me a headache everyday just so I'll drink one.
My craves have been cheese, potatoes prepared in every way possible, ketchup, all three of the previously listed together, rice, cocoa puffs (I actually always like cocoa puffs, but pregnancy is the only time I'll indulge), sushi (I've heard sushi isn't to be eaten by pregnant women. Can it be true? I also take short dips in the hot tub at the gym and I've been painting...), fresh summer/spring rolls, pasta, and anything I don't have to make for myself.
Spencer wants another little sister.
Camille loves babies, but will be heartbroken when she discovers she isn't one anymore. Poor baby!
My first Md appt is this Thursday.
I plan to travel to Mexico 34 weeks pregnant. Hmmm...

The truth is, we are so excited to have another child. It would be nice if Luke could take a turn with pregnancy and lactation. It would help if we could fast forward a few months (like 24) and just be left with sweet memories. In short, kids are hard, but so rewarding. One of my favorite things about having more than one is watching their relationships with each other develop. Spencer and Camille LOVE each other. They play and copy and laugh and even sometimes share. They're great. Why should I be afraid of one more? oh so many reasons...

21 comments:

Anna said...

You're a great mom and youre gonna be fine! Congrats!!!

ty and megs said...

congrats emily!
i think this post is pretty much what our lives are going to be like for the rest of our child bearing years. some days will be great and i'll think i could have a million kids and other days the mins. tick by so slowly and i wonder if the circus could use a new performer.
but really, like we would trade it for anything. being a mom really is great! most of the time...:)

carie said...

Congratulations!!!

Jacee McGuire said...

This is great! I love your list of cravings because I am right there with you! It will be so much fun being HUGE and pregnant this summer, I can't wait. You are a great mom and you will be awesome with baby #3.

Tam said...

A HUGE congrats Emily!!! But I have to confess, although I am feeling a tiny bit pressured thanks to the fact that nearly every woman of child bearing age in my ward is pregnant and now you who I’ve grown huge with twice before, I am GLAD I'm not coincidentally pregnant along with you this time! Happy gestating:)

Marci said...

congrats emily! so excited for you! and ditto... are you ever REALLY ready for another one? i'm not sure, and i'm due any day... :)

BallerinaBiker said...

You are an awesome mom and it will be a piece of cake! : ) If not a piece of cake, you'll survive it! And, I whole-heartedly agree with your reasons for having more than 1. Some of my greatest joys as a mother are watching my children play, even fight, and most of all, share. They all really do look after each other. Having 3 is fun and exciting and you will be great!

BallerinaBiker said...

I forgot to mention . . . I took really hot baths, occassionally dipped in a hot tub, painted and ate tuna and all my kids are just fine. I think the thing with sushi is the high mercury levels in some fish. So, if you're having sushi, find out which fish has high mercury levels and avoid it. I know tuna has high mercury. But, I think having tuna occassionally is ok. Just don't have it everyday. Oh, and I also drank lots of coke. It's the only cure for headaches!

Mindy said...

Congratulations Emily! This is so exciting. I hope the pain in your hips get better. Thanks for your honesty. However, it is making me want to wait even longer to have a third. Good luck!

Cassi said...

Congrats! Congrats! Ben told me the news and I have been meaning to call you. I am excited for you guys.

Nollie said...

Em, I love your honesty. I've always thought of you as a Zen Mom who handles everything with such grace and a lack of stress. You can do it!

Connie said...

Congrats, Emily! You will do great. It's so fun to see the older ones with a new baby.

Sean and Laura said...

Congratulations!!

A & D Weston said...

Amen. I only wish I could come and paint flowers for you when you're 8 months along.

A & D Weston said...

I meant "plant" not "paint".

Michal Thompson said...

Emily, I have been secretly reading your blog on and off. I just had my third two months ago. I felt the same as you, a lot of dread and little excitement. But it is great! The harder we work to get them here, the more we love them and allow us to grow closer to our Heavenly Father. Good luck!

Jaclyn said...

Hi Emily - I am the oldest daughter of the Hutchins that used to live next door to Luke's family. I stumbled across your blog when I was looking at Julie's. Congratulations on baby number three! I'm comforted to know that some moms-to-be do occasionally indulge in a coke - can't imagine my life without diet dr. pepper. Good luck with everything!

The Eberhardts said...

we're excited about the baby! pregnancy is not fun, but at least you have potatoes and ketchup and the allmighty coke!

Jen said...

Bless, bless, bless your heart. Body. And most of all your sleep schedule.

I remember SO well the feelings of dread I had with my second pregnancy.
And somehow it worked out.

We're proud of you. Congratulations!

Jen said...

p.s. I ate WHATEVER I wanted during my second pregnancy: sushi, deli meat, soft cheese, LOTS of sugar. Jacob was a much healthier baby than Andrew! Go figure.

Em Russ said...

Mindy mentioned at the park today that you were expecting number 3 so I had to come check out your blog and send my congratulations your way! I'd tell you 3 is easy but I can't remember much of the last year... :) Just be glad they're coming one at a time, I guess! I loved your post though (and especially love the beadboard you and your dad put up!) Congrats on the new little one!