Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm a believer

When I moved, I started running with someone who wore Vibram Five Finger shoes:



I was a skeptic, but I started reading shoe reviews and barefoot running theory online. I decided to give them a try, needing new shoes anyway. However, the local running store was out of the kind I wanted, so I decided just to see what the experts (being the running store sales crew) recommended. At the running store, they watched me run on a treadmill with a camera attached to the back to better see my gait, stride, etc. I was told I have a slightly collapsed arch and pronate a tiny bit when I toe off. Liking that I needed special shoes, I bought a pair of corrective Brooks.

Previous to the Brooks, my knees had bothered me a little. I thought the pain was because I needed new shoes. When I started wearing the corrective shoes, my knees started really hurting. They popped and cracked, even hurt to the touch. They hurt so much, I switched back to my old shoes. That didn't help.

I had read Vibram reviews online claiming that the shoes cured shin splints, knee trouble, hip pain, etc., all of which I have suffered at one time or another. I was hesitant to drop another $100 on shoes I wasn't sure would help, but I am SO glad I did. The first time I wore them, I ran a mile in my old running shoes, packing the Vibrams in the back of my pants. I changed shoes and ran two miles in the Vibrams. The pain I felt in my knees in the first mile disappeared in the Vibrams. No pain. I was/am thrilled.

I still couldn't do a full run in the Vibrams because my feet muscles and tendons needed to strengthen. I've had them for about three weeks now and am running in them exclusively, except for Saturdays when I run on a rocky trail. I had shin splints--they're gone. Knee pain--gone.

My calves are what hurt now. I have started trying to run more on my forefoot. My calves actually cramp until I can't run anymore. BUT I'd much rather have muscle soreness than a knee injury or shin splints. I LOVE MY VIBRAMS!!!

Here is a little video on the theory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jrnj-7YKZE.

Besides taking care of all my running pain, running in the Vibrams is really fun. It's freeing.

5 comments:

merathon said...

patrick and i have both wanted to try vibrams for a LONG time. i have had knee pain that has kept me from running very much anymore so i've wondered if this would help me. glad to hear that you are liking them-- i've been thinking we'd get them for christmas this year!

Anna said...

My knee pain started when I switched to Brooks, too. Ugh. They were so expensive. Maybe I should give these a shot.

Jenn Knight said...

Ok, so after watching that video last night, today during my run, I just took my shoes off about halfway through (kept my socks on for a little barrier). I thought I'd try it out before I invest in MORE expensive shoes.

I'M A BELIEVER!! Wow. I know I just ran like a mile or so, but I felt like I could run a dozen more (except my calves were getting sore, like you said). My persistent knee pain- totally gone! I think I'm going to keep doing this, increasing the mileage each time and get some Vibruns for Christmas. Yea! It WAS very liberating, physically and mentally! Thanks!!

BallerinaBiker said...

Interesting! I'm proud of your running abilities. Where do you find your motivation?

Cassi said...

Interesting...we were just talking about this the other day. I am also tempted to try. Maybe they should be my next new pair of shoes. They look pretty awesome too! I need your address, could you email it to me?